Tuesday, April 27, 2010

it's not as easy at it seems

The past few weeks, I wonder if I've died and gone to accessory hell.
I work as a photo stylist, and even though the average person would never know it, the recession has hit the advertising industry pretty hard. Advertisers have been reusing old photos, running fewer ads and scaling back costs, which means less work for the supporting industries like photographers, stylists and graphic designers. After a very long dry spell for freelance work, things seem to be finally picking up a little.
I've been hoping for work of any kind, not just the glamorous and fun stuff like this:


or this:


or even this:



Sometimes, this is the reality:


Socks. Hundreds of them. Days and days of them, punctuated by piles of hats and gloves, and then - then when I thought I would surely go out of my mind, I get to style SHOES!


So the next time you look at shoes or socks or hats or gloves in a catalog or on a website, think of me and those other anonymous stylists out there slaving away,
lacing all those shoes perfectly.

And just in case you're wondering what kind of shoes I prefer:

1 comment:

mo.stoneskin said...

Well at least you walk your walk with perfectly laced shoes.