Thursday, February 16, 2012

cooking by the seat of my pants again

Last night I was scrounging around in the kitchen trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I'd actually taken the whole day off...no work, no plans, other than to simply goof off and do whatever I wanted. We had a nice breakfast, took a long hike with the pups, and both read the afternoon away. At 7:30 I suddenly realized I was starving and hadn't given a thought to dinner. So I rummaged around in the fridge, and here's what I came up with:

carmelized onion, mushroom and yukon gold potato tart
  • 1 frozen sheet of puff pastry, defrosted for about 15 minutes
  • 1 medium sized yellow onion, very thinly sliced 
  • I medium yukon gold potato, cut in quarters, and sliced paper thin
  • 6 or 7 small cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
  • salt and pepper
  • fresh or dried thyme and rosemary
  • 3/4 cup of grated parmesan or other hard cheese (I'm not sure what kind I used...I think it was parmesan, but it could have been manchego or asiago!)
  • olive oil (about 1/4 cup)
  • butter
  • Preheated 400˚ oven
Sautée the onion in about 2 Tbs of olive oil and 1 Tbs of butter, seasoning it with salt and pepper. 
When it's all soft and silky and golden brown, remove it to a bowl.
Add more olive oil to the pan, then sautée the thinly sliced cremini mushrooms and yukon gold potato, seasoning with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. 
While the mushrooms and potatoes are cooking, place the sheet of puff pastry on a baking sheet, and turn the edges over about 1/2 inch, then sprinkle about half the cheese over it.
Spread the mushrooms and potatoes evenly over the cheese, and then the caramelized onions over that, topping with the rest of the cheese.
Pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve with a beautiful green salad. It should serve 4, but we were very hungry! Cut into small pieces, it would make a great appetizer.


Unfortunately, I never got a picture of it on the plate...
it was sooo good!

No comments: