Sunday, April 27, 2008

red hot saturday nights


One of the comforts of getting older is not being judged on how I spend my leisure time.  I can quite happily admit to being addicted to 1990s British TV sitcoms, my favorite: As Time Goes By, a story of lovers who are accidentally reunited after a 38-year separation. Not hilarious, but heartwarming and good for a chuckle or three; and never veers into the slapstick vein of British comedies. 

For slapstick, you can't beat  Keeping Up Appearances, the story of  Hyacinth Bucket ("It's pronounced: boo-kay"), a social climber of the highest order, who holds candlelight suppers using the finest Royal Doulton china with the hand painted periwinkles...

So, set me up in the rocking chair with a cat on my lap, a glass of wine in my hand (using only my finest Ikea glassware) and some dark chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe's, and I'm a happy camper.

2 comments:

BOSSY said...

Bossy always watches TV through her toes.

foolery said...

Okay, now I'm wanting those pretzels.